Monday, December 26, 2005

Morning Raga, An Indian Film nomination for the Oscars 2005-06

One of my favourite films of all time, Morning Raga, has been nominated for the Oscars under the best Foreign Film category.

The film is a masterpiece, blending Carnatic music (the traditional music of South India) with Western music in what I consider one of the greatest compositions I have heard. I never realized that such fusion could be good, that the words of Mark Twain would be disproved (East is East, West is West and never the twain shall meet - forgive me if those are not the exact words).

For someone who does not in general enjoy music so much like my family and friends do, the "Thaye Yashoda" song is the best song I have heard in my life.

Because I like this film so much, a short review (albeit with tinted glasses) would be helpful for those of you who are bored enough to read this blog ;)

I am not going into the story line per se, merely my thoughts. K.Raghavendra Rao, who is a well-known producer in the Telegu film industray has cast his son in the lead role. Unlike many such "star" sons, this guy has some great acting credentials, having been trained in London etc. His first Telugu film was a disaster, but he simply is superb in this film.

While Shaban Azmi is her usual brilliant self, Perizaad was a pleasant surprise. She manages to look convincing in singing carnatic, but that is not surprising, since these two North Indian ladies stayed in an authentic South Indian village and learnt the elements of Carnatic Music.

For those of you still with me, hear the song, "Thaye Yashoda" and you will know why I am raving so much about this little-known song. Its heavenly compared to the brayings that go about in the name of songs these days.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License
.