Thursday, November 30, 2006

Mark Twain's The Mysterious Stranger

I recently read "The Mysterious Stranger" by Mark Twain. It hit me and hit me bad!

The plot and words are simple, the message subtle but it leaves you groping for answers. After reading it, I sat for an hour trying to make sense of the multitude of thoughts floating around in my mind. The recent happenings in the news - Iraq, the Pope's visit, various conflicts, religious wars, political zealotry - everything fitted perfectly into what he wrote 100 years ago.

Man has found every single existing way to divide humanity - Language, race, religion, race, politics, money, power - in short innumerable.

Is there one single uniting idea? No.

After reading this realistic story, I am sure we don't need "Judgement Day" or "End of Kali Yuga" to destroy the earth.

We are doing all we can to destroy the human race and in the bargain, this planet also. Love and affection seems self-centred.

How can I enjoy more? How do I become more rich? And I want these immediately.

With such thoughts, do you think humanity has a chance? As Mark Twain says, we should let go of the pretense of "civilization" and claim we are just mammals.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought provoking.

December 15, 2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger Sridhar said...

Thanks. I appreciate it. Could you please leave your name?

December 16, 2006 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License
.